Wednesday, December 14, 2016

What-to-Know Wednesday : Why Everyone Should Take a Dance Class at SMC

Hello all, and welcome to my last post of the semester! I want to thank you all for reading along this fall on Stories of St. Mike's. While it's been a difficult semester for many reasons, I'm always grateful to be able to bring you my tales, tips and tricks from the best school ever!

After having taken my second dance class at St. Mike's this semester amidst some administrative considerations, I've been given a lot of opportunity to reflect on how truly beneficial they have been to my St. Mike's experience. So without further ado, here is why I think everyone would benefit from taking a dance class at SMC!



1.) Pay attention to your mind AND your body.

Taking a dance class has provided time that I otherwise wouldn't have had to focus on physical activity through the school week. While the load of course work and studying often takes priority over physical wellness, dance classes have allowed me to focus on flexibility, posture, and overall physical self-awareness.

2.) Take a break.

In these practices of physical self-awareness, I've found that dance classes have allowed me to unwind from the week's academic stresses and clear my mind for the rest of the day. It feels good to walk into a class knowing it's time to forget about the exam you have tomorrow and the paper due next week and focus on yourself for an hour or so.

3.) Explore physical activity and awareness of your own body in an academic context.

Through taking a dance class at SMC, you'll learn not only about different styles of dance, choreographers and techniques, but you'll also learn a lot about yourself.


I hope you'll all be lucky enough to experience a dance class in your time at SMC. I promise you will not regret it!

With that being said, I hope you all have a wonderful break, a merry Christmas and happy holidays!

See you in 2017!



Let's Connect!
Instagram: @claire_cavanaugh
Twitter: @CavanaughClaire
E-mail: ccavanaugh2@mail.smcvt.edu

No comments: