Wednesday, April 15, 2015

What-to-Know Wednesday : When Spring Hits Burlington

Hello all! Well, I think we can say for sure...Spring has officially sprung!!! As I'm sure you can guess, it's a pretty big deal when the weather finally starts turning around here at St. Mike's. It's been a beautiful past couple of days here, both fluctuating in the sixties and seventies. Just taking a single stroll through campus, you'll see tons of people out on the lawn, reading, relaxing, enjoying a walk, or even doing homework.

But I'd say one of the best ways to really enjoy Mother Nature's mood change is to get out! I love a good stroll around campus, since I happen to be blessed with a beautiful one. But there's nothing quite like knowing you'll finally be able to hit the town without a jacket or fear of frostbite!

Yesterday, Jared and I made our way into Burlington for Ben and Jerry's' annual Free Cone Day! We waited in line for a quick twenty five minutes (they were killing it this year!), got us some Chunky Monkey, and set out for some explorin'!

 The line was atrociously long...but it moved so fast!

 [*cue power love ballad*]

For the first time in months, we finally got back down to the waterfront, my favorite spot in downtown Burlington! 
Lake Champlain is gorgeous all year round...but nothing really beats those bright blue sunsets over glittering water, with not an ounce of chill in the air. It's one of my favorite places to be on a lazy day. 

Here's one of those bright blue sunsets I was talking about. And lemma tell ya, the picture hardly does it justice. It's a shade of blue that's so vibrant that it lures you all the way from Church Street when you look down the hill!


 This, however, is a state of Champlain that I'm not as familiar with! Lasting about fifty feet out into the lake is a filmy layer of ice chunks that are slowly melting! Listening to the water slowly roll in yesterday sounded like glass quietly breaking. I watched several people take videos just to capture that sound!

Also at the waterfront is this cute little aquarium, the Echo Center! I've never been in, but I've always been super curious about what's in there. One of these days I guess I'll just have to go for it!

Of course, there's always the option of just walking around and seeing what catches your eye! There's nothing quite like finding a new place that will become part of your downtown routine. 

Now that we're finally warming up over here, I'll probably be finding myself in Burlington a heck of a lot more often (at least I hope I do)! The forecast predicts a rainy weekend, but I'm crossing my fingers for some sun. 

Be sure to stay tuned for the next Sum-It-Up Sunday on the 19th!



Let's Connect!
Instagram: @claire_cavanaugh
Twitter: @CavanaughClaire
E-mail: ccavanaugh2@mail.smcvt.edu

No comments: